Monday, August 29, 2011

To make or not to make...the bed

Which side of this coin do your prefer?!  I flip-flop between the two...

I love the way a made up bed looks...I just hate doing it...

The stretching, the tucking, the putting on and taking off of pillow shams...thank God I ditched the idea of decorative pillows years ago...now I am just stuck with shams...and a predominately white quilt...








What the monkey was I thinking?!  I have 2 young children and a messy husband...did I mention that our room is where we spend most of our time?!  (The computer and upstairs TV are in here)  Everyone knows there is no eating in the bed and the 5 year old has brought it upon herself to show me her hands and face before she jumps up.

It's a little "girly" for my macho man's taste, but I haven't purchased a bedroom set per se in about 15 years (it took me 3 years to convince him to let me paint the furniture black!)...and it was on sale...and I had a coupon!!!!  I mean I really like what I have, but there is NO WAY I would have paid $49.99 for just one pillow sham?!  Are you kidding me?!  Again I have to  thank Kohl's for their 30% off coupons and the fact that they have sooo many things on sale...how do they make any money?!

Now's where the guilt comes in...I am a totally "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of girl here...

I had a mother who came in after me and pick up my crap, made my bed for the most part and pretty much waited on all of us hand and foot.  I did have chores as a kid like dishes (no dishwasher in the double wide) vacuuming, emptying ashtrays, waxing the floor and once I got my license I had to cart my brother around everywhere he needed to go...but I had very little experience in cleaning up after myself.  My mom would get so tired of the way my room looked, she would go in and overhaul it herself...Although there is one memorable time when I was in high school when she dumped everything and I mean EVERYTHING I owned (did I mention that I am a recovering pack-rat?!) on top of my bed and told me I could sleep on the floor until the bed was cleared off...took 3 days...this is what I had in my room
9 drawer dresser
4 drawer dresser
bedside table with 1 drawer
desk with 3 drawers and hutch
6 drawer lingerie chest in my bathroom closet (grew up in a trailer, but I had my own powder room!!!!)
and a shit-ton of stuff shoved under my bed

So, with the school year starting and me hopefully going back to some type of part time work I am expecting my girls to pick up their rooms and make their beds...guess I'm going to have to get off my ass and set the example...being a grown up sucks sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment