Saturday, January 8, 2011

Under Construction...so far...

Ok, so one of the things that 2010 wouldn't give me was some decent home improvement.  When you have 2 adults, 2 growing kids and a super active puppy in a 1,323 sf townehome you have to get creative with space...all of my attempts thus far have been part trailer park engineering, part balance and the refusal to spend any money on more organizers.  Well, I am done with having to remove 14 boxes and bins that are on top of the container that I want so...let the destruction begin.

I am still broke, so I will be spending very little money, but since I did save $300 bucks on my car repair Wednesday, I decided a little trip to Home Depot was in order.  I never remember to take a "before" picture, I always remember "during" (maybe I will take a quick today before starting up again) and I have already started the shed project, but here is what is on the current agenda

1)  install new sink and faucet in downstairs bathroom
2)  install new doors for shed outside
3)  refab/reconfigure shed so that more crap (including new sink until my man can install, right now it is in dining room)

Not too bad...small list...big effect...

I attacked the shed yesterday, pulling everything out and totally ripping down my Ikea shelving unit - and I do mean tearing that sucker down...no 2 original pieces are left together
I took shelves that were 35" long and 3 planks deep and they are now 29" long and 5 planks deep
I also took the side braces, cut them to size and used them as the new braces on the studs in the shed to hold new shelves up

Only had to buy some new woodscrews...although I did cheat and go buy a new DeWalt corded drill...yes the powertools in this house belong to me - my work ain't necessarily pretty, but it does get the job done!  My little 6 year old, battery powered Black and Decker drill just wasn't cutting anymore...and I mean that literally...the batteries also power my B&D chick-sized circular saw...one hour of charging would only cut 3 boards or drill 2 screws...project would have taken a week!

Waiting for the hubby to wake up and help me make sure everything is level on the braces for the second side...don't want any crap falling down/shifting  on me during the next set of tremors/earthquakes.  Besides, can't let him feel completely lefy out...and I did let him cut some of the boards last night...I just don't like using my jigsaw and my batteries kept dying.

pics soon

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Mother of Jesus Girl....what a way to start off the year!

    ReplyDelete